Saturday, February 12, 2011

Where is the prize?

We went to a birthday party last night at Burger King (in spanish, it is pronounced booh-gehr keen).  I'll admit, I wasn't looking forward to going.  This group of people is a tough crowd...they've struggled with alcohol, drugs, eating disorders and many relational problems.  On top of it all, Matt had to drop the kids and I off first while he ran a quick errand.  Beyond the other difficulties I mentioned earlier, I wasn't sure I'd be able to "mingle" very well as they speak andalucian Spanish...it is very difficult to understand already and add the fact that they use many curse words and speak faster than a bullet train!!!   Anyways, it ended up being a fun and interesting time.  We were the only ones who brought a gift for the 5 year old birthday boy (Francis).  Logan and Jada LOVED playing with all the kids and spent most of the time under an interactive, computerized light show.  We were cutting the cake and as we were passing it out, there was a group of 4 adolescents looking at the cake with BIG eyes.  We offered them some cake, which at first they declined.  After insisting, they took some and enjoyed it.  But, as we focused our attention on the kids and the birthday boy, these same adolescents decided to take our (used) cups and help themselves to free fountain drinks.  I guess I shouldn't be surprised?  I don't know.  The night ended, and I sat in the empty birthday-party-space waiting for Matt to come pick us up.  As I was picking up all of our things, I realized that my two kids were going to be the ONLY two kids leaving the party without their "surprise bag" that was handed out earlier.  I guess I'm not used to keeping such a close eye on my things.  So, we lost our free refills and our birthday favors, but we left with our dignity!   I guess the prize isn't always something we can see is it? 

No comments:

Post a Comment